9.08.2009

Back to real-life

Well today was my first day back at work. I was more than ready to get back to my job. I really missed working and mainly the people I work with! I have said that Stratton is WAY more demanding than Kelly (my boss) is!! A screaming baby is not quite as understanding when you are busy and can't get to what they want at the moment. There is no rationalizing with a baby! I was nervous about how the morning would go. . . feeding, changing, getting everything loaded in the car, racing across town to drop Stratton off and then making it to work by 8am, but it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Jarrod got up with him at 5am and fed him, changed him and put him in a clean onesie. So he was good to go when I got ready to leave. And thankfully after Jarrod feed him he went back to sleep and didn't make a peep until right before I got ready to leave, which was around 7:15. I was out the door by 7:25 and I got to Kayce's at 7:45! I knew traffic was going to be bad, but I had no idea how long it would really take. I was on the road for almost 45 minutes this morning. That's longer than my drive to Waldenburg when I worked at that office! I am going to have to try a few different routes and see which one is going to be the fastest. Work was ok, I feel a little lost since they have moved into the new office while I was gone and there have been many changes in my absence. I guess it will just take a while to get back into the groove. I left work about ten till five and picked Stratton up. Aunt Judy was at Kayce's so I visited with them for just a minute. It was 5:30 and Stratton was supposed to eat at 5:30, so I thought I'd better hurry home and try to avoid a breakdown in the car. Kayce said he was good today. I didn't have time to get the minute by minute playback but as long as she isn't standing in the driveway with his bags packed when I show up to get him, I'll take that as  good thing and just assume he wasn't too much of a terror. We got home just before six and Jarrod fed him a bottle as soon as I could get it fixed. Right now it is 8:25pm and so far he hasn't been asleep for more than 10 minutes since we got home! I hope this means he is going to sleep good! The night time formula seems to be working. Last night he ate at 11:30 (it took him a full hour to eat, though. . I was getting at least 3 oz down him one way or the other, even if it took all night! ) and then he didn't wake up again till a little before 5am, so we got maybe 4 1/2 hours of sleep.  I would prefer a good 6 hours between the night feeding and the morning, but 4 is better than 2, I know I shouldn't complain!

By the time I got home tonight I was wore out. Seriously, I could have gone to bed at 6pm.  I don't know how we are going to do this everyday. I assume I'll get used to it eventually. Jarrod reminded me that today is just day one and it will get easier everyday. . . let's hope. Luckily, I have an amazing husband who cooked us supper and is now feeding Stratton so I can have a few minutes to myself. I checked my email & blogs, I baked some chocolate chip biscuits. . .baking and cooking always helps me unwind. . . and now I am headed to my long awaited bubble bath and hopefully a good night's sleep. . . or at least a few good hours!

5 comments:

kristen g. said...

It will get easier. He's still so little, especially when you consider he's a preemie. A lot of doctors/books/etc will say that you should consider a preemie's real age as their gestational age, so if you were to do that then Stratton's really not even a month old yet! He's doing amazing and you guys are too, just take it one day at a time. I promise he won't be a newborn forever! Love you guys!

Kayce said...

Oh, he's not a terror. Maybe my child!!! He was actually wonderful yesterday. I think Cooper scares him though. Cooper gets a little too rough for me around Stratton. BUT the up side is that you have survived and it's day 2. Life is good. They are both asleep!

Shea said...

It will get better...just give it time. I don't know of too many babies that sleep more than Stratton is sleeping now at that age. I would've loved 4 1/2 hours when Madden was 8 weeks old! On the up side: by 3 1/2 months he was sleeping 11-12 hours at night! Glad to see your first day back was good!

Amanda Coats said...

You will get used to it, I promise. If you told me a year ago I would get up at 5:30 and still survive I would tell you that you were crazy. But somehow I am still functioning! It will get easier as he gets older and sleeps more though the night!

amber leann said...

As everyone said, it does get easier. Just when you think you can't survive on that little of sleep he will start sleeping longer and longer. Glad your first day back went well!